Do you listen to music while you run?
It fuels me. I have my ‘get pumped up!!’ run playlist that kicks my mental ass into gear every morning. Wouldn’t it great if it kicked my literal ass into shape too?
There have been a handful of times when I accidently left my ipod at the office, or broke my headphones and thought “Oh no! How am I going to run without music?!”. I got out there anyway, and was grateful during the run to hear the birds and pay attention to the life around me. Sometimes it’s nice to let the atmosphere permeate every part of me, and I found myself looking at the sun and smiling. Why is this sounding like chic-flick sobfest ’09? Onto the music!
On my ass-kickin playlist:
- Incubus – all albums. thank you brandon, you’re a good man. I will see you in August and maybe we’ll make out?
- Third Eye Blind – something about the positive tone in his voice gives me a spark while I run
- Cake – jammy goodness
- Counting Crows – ever seen them live? so. good.
- A Perfect Circle
- Matchbook Romance – you might think emo, but judge me not. rockin.
- Tool – if you want to forget your feet are moving beneath you, try this.
- Chili Peppers
- Alanis Morissette – i personally think she will always rock.
Then there are mornings when I really just want to appreciate the time I have to be out and alive, and want more chill music. I used to always start a run with the mindset of pushing myself as hard as I could; but recently discovered that running just to breathe is beautiful.
On my chill out playlist:
- Anna Nalick
- Sufjan Stevens – beautiful songs
- Jewel – my first musical love
- DMB – anyone have thoughts on the new album?
- Ben Folds
What do you run to?